Monday, December 27, 2004

Mount Vernon

history



So, for my Winter Solstice present, my dear friends Ellen and Megan took me on a tour of George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate.
It was really cool... not only a thoughtful present (since I've been
doing some reading if the pre- and post-revolutionary times), but as a
physical frame of reference I will be able to use for years to come.



In the 8 years that I lived in the D.C. area, I've never toured a
site or monument that had as much meaning and substance as the grounds,
mansion, slave quaters, greenhouses and tombs/cemetary of Mount Vernon.
I would encourage anyone interested in early U.S. history to check it
out if they ever get a chance. Not life-changing, but certainly very
useful... providing an excellent context for the letters and writings
of the time period.


(rest of entry truncated/lost)


No comments: