Saturday, June 21, 2008

txLoadBalancer

Well today was a flurry of activity... pulled an all-nighter whipping a python load balancer into shape after some late-afternoon discussions on #divmod.

At Divmod, we're going to be labbing out some distributed services experiments with twistd servers, and one set of those experiments involves "developer friendly" load balancing. JP suggested that I take a look at how PyDirector works and see if we could use that. Which was actually interesting in a full-circle kind of way: I worked on PyDirector when I was at PBS, ages ago, where I wrote a weighted lb algorithm for it.

Jumping into the code again after a 5-year hiatus was like seeing an old friend :-)

All tonight, I worked on the following branches:
txLoadBalancer 0.9.1 and 1.0.1 are up on PyPI in the usual place.

I did lots of manual functional testing for each branch tonight, but I didn't do any TDD. While I'm still playing with it, I'll probably start adding tests as bugs crop up (BDT), and as it gets more serious I'll go fully into TDD and fill in what's missing at that point.

Tonight's mad rush was actually a great deal of fun. It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to plow through a bunch of code like that, and I enjoyed myself to near exhaustion :-) I don't think I'll be able to get to sleep tonight (er, this morning), due to the endless thinking about all the ways in which I want to use this code, mutate it, and... well, I better leave some surprises for later!

Update: I've edited the links for the latest micro-releases that fixed some issues with setup.py.

Update 2: Thanks to the heads-up in the comments from Kapil, I've patched txLoadBalancer trunk with the changes from Apple (David Reid and Wilfredo Sanchez).


2 comments:

  1. you might also want to checkout the patches to pydirector included in the apple calendar server.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kapil, thanks! I didn't know that David worked on this. The socket patch and the fix for the disconnects are very cool. I'll be adding those (I just noticed the disconnect problem last night when I started running benchmarks).

    For the curious, here's a link.

    ReplyDelete