I just had a delightful weekend of coding :-) I spent the past two days porting the Spore Python API to Twisted. You can now incorporate Spore data (from static XML as well as REST requests) into your non-blocking Python applications/games!
This was a pretty easy task, really. The API just makes HTTP requests with twisted.web.client.getPage. There was a little bit of work involved in creating object models for the XML, and some head-scratching for the error-catching deferToThread unit test I tried to write (it's still buggy... need to figure that one out). Everything else was pretty much cake.
In fact, it was so much fun to kick back and write some playful code that I might overhaul the sync Python code as well and incorporate both into txSpore.
Do be aware, however, that the code still has some big improvements coming. The first thing I want to hit is actually create a client object. Right now, the client module contains a series of functions (since state's not currently needed). However, I want to start doing some basic object caching in order to limit the number of requests made to spore.com and increase the response time. That's the big item for 0.0.2. Update: 0.0.2 is now released!
Next I'd like to create some more demo apps that show off the API usage better. Right now, there's one demo (a .tac file). All it does is ask for a user name, renders a user page, and then links to a user "Spore assets" page (that's the thumbnail image above).
One thing that might be fun to do is write a script that checks for the latest achievements and publishes them to various microblog/status sites with the Twisted PyngFM client :-)
There's a project page up on Launchpad for txSpore, and I've posted a notice and some updates to the Spore developer forums. It's also been published on PyPI.